[CentOS] Re: webmin

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Thu Sep 20 18:32:03 UTC 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> Hiep Nguyen spake the following on 9/20/2007 9:36 AM:
>> hi there, i just insalled centos 4.5 minimal, but want to use yum to
>> install webmin?  anybody know how??
>>
>> i try: yum install webmin but not found.
>>
>> thanks,
>> T. Hiep
> I see it on Dag Wieers repo, but it is way out of date.
> I would just download and install it. You can update it from inside
> webmin after it is running, and if you want to update a bunch of
> systems, you can set up clustering and update all of them from there
> at once.

As Dag and Jamie have differing opinions about how to install Webmin,
which ever one you choose should be the one you stay with. I chose the
one from the Webmin website. The main reason is if you run update from
within Webmin it gets the one from there which can break the one from Dag.

So, if you enable the dag repository be sure in that repo file or area
to add the line

exclude=webmin

I've been configuring dag lately using the install file from his site
which is creating /etc/yum.repo.d/rpmforge.repo

Mine looks like this at the top.

# Name: RPMforge RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise 5 - dag
[rpmforge]
exclude=webmin
<then the rest of the config data from here down>

John Hinton