[CentOS] Re: CentOS5 Network Problems

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Sep 21 15:55:09 UTC 2007

semi linux spake the following on 9/20/2007 4:59 PM:
> On 9/20/07, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>> semi linux wrote:
>>> I have a very odd problem connecting to some websites from my CentOS 5 box
>>>
>>> Target websites:
>>> www.connecttech.com
>>> www.3ware.com
>>> (two of my HW vendors)
>>>
>>> I can usually get some kind of response, but if the content (download
>>> or page itself) is larger in size (downloads never pass 100K), then it
>>> hangs...
>>>
>>> When I fire-up wireshark, I get a lot of ougoing highlighted Checksum
>>> Errored packets but I don't know what's causing it...  Here's what
>>> I've eliminated thus far:
>>>
>>> - Websites are up and responsive
>>> - Cable(s) is fine
>>> - Network drop is fine
>>> - I put myself behind a firewall to make sure it wasn't my network
>>> - Network card has been switched
>>> - Driver has been switched
>>> - Removed any firewall
>>> - wget has problems as well
>>> - Other computers on the same network work fine.
>>>
>>> Sites like maps.google.com work just fine...  I'm open to any
>>> suggestion at this point.
>>>
>>> I'm completely lost.
>>>
>>> - G.
>> When you say network drop is fine does that mean from the switch to your
>> computer?  Have you tried a different port on your switch?
>
> I've used my laptop on the same network drop...
> I've changed from port A to B in this cube and I've tried A and B in
> the cube next to me... all four ports produce the same result with the
> system but work fine with my laptop.
`
Then it has to be the hardware/driver interactions. Or the box has some kind
of interference problem. Do you have a power supply you could try? It could be
a faulty earth ground on the box or in PS that is causing stray EMF. Your
lappy would be OK because it is separated from the ground problem. Since you
moved the box, I doubt it is the bldg. wiring.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and