[CentOS] webmin

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Fri Sep 21 17:21:44 UTC 2007

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Ray Leventhal wrote:
>
>> Hiep Nguyen wrote:
>>
>>> hi there, i just insalled centos 4.5 minimal, but want to use yum to
>>> install webmin?  anybody know how??
>>>
>> Webmin is available as
>>
>> webmin-1.250-1.2.el4.rf.noarch.rpm
>>

> I really, really, really, really, really, really wouldn't recommend
> installing that version, as it is really, really, really, really,
> really old.
>
> On the other hand I wouldn't recommend installing webmin anyway - but if
> you have to take the rpm from webmin.com (if that is installable on
> CentOS, no idea there).

Webmin fully supports all versions of CentOS natively. This is likely
done via a RHEL alias of some sort or perhaps even backwards... as in
CentOS might even be the OS where testing is done and the outcome might
be ported to RHEL. :) The bottom line, it will recognize your OS and set
itself up according to the normal standards within that OS.... like the
name of the apache service and where it lives and where the conf files
are and any includes. This is done for almost everything. You will find
you'll need to point it in the right direction for some modules.. but
the ability is built in.

And yes, it is not as secure as a non-gui server without a control
panel, but it does make life a whole lot easier. It does take a fair
amount of time to configure each module you use to make sure it outputs
as you wish. Really this should be considered an aid to those that are
used to doing all the configs by hand first and then wrap Webmin into a
state that does it the way you want it done.

As far as security is involved, you should for sure run webmin under
secure server. You can set webmin to run on any available port instead
of the default 10000 and you can set it to only accept connections from
certain IP addresses or networks. Those are a good first line of
defense. From there more can be done but is really not pertinent to this
list. Webmin is a very active project and it's very easy to contact the
author on the webmin mailing list.

A big positive for webmin... for me so far it really doesn't care if you
do some configurations by hand and some from within its interface. In
other words it makes use of the standard conf files in reading and
writing. This is very much unlike anything else I have looked at.

Best,
John Hinton