[CentOS] Disk De-Fraging in Linux

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Fri Sep 21 18:37:17 UTC 2007

Brian Mathis wrote:
> On 9/20/07, gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net <gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net> wrote:
>> That or run buzzsaw (win)  which is a continuous defragmenter (well,
>> when the system is idle that is) that runs in the background and only
>> costs $10.  Pagedefrag from sysinternals doesn't hurt either (and it's free
>> off ms' website).  And no, I'm not affiliated with either I just like the
>> products.
>>
>> Geoff
>
> On 9/21/07, William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
>> IME defragging is highly needed in busy servers that use a lot of disk.
>>   Every single one of my clients have seen server performance tank when
>> fragmentation goes over 15% or so..including the workstations.  In vista
>> it's still necessary.
>>

> Last I checked, CentOS was Linux?

thank you. I'm glad someone said it cause I was starting to wonder what
list I was reading.

In answer to "what's the difference between NTFS and ext2/3?" Friggin
night and day brother! Night and DAY.
But I digress. I think what is needed here is a tried and true RTFM.
That is the response I was expecting would
find it's way into this thread, but I've not yet seen it. Maybe further
down the thread perhaps.  :)

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."