[CentOS] Central file server advice please

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Fri Sep 21 19:47:23 UTC 2007

On Friday 21 September 2007 10:43:49 gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
> Exactly how much throughput are you realistically anticipating?  What
> connection are you going to use?  802.11 or 10/100 or gige?  And yes, the
> chips will pretty much always give you better performance with raid.
>
> Geoff
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.

The m/board has an on board Realtek 8110S Gigabit chip (RJ45). All but the
newest m/boards have 100 megabit nics and the switch is a 100 magabit, 8 port
switch. the DSL modem is an "up to 8Mb connection" (generally about half that
speed) with a 54Mb wireless point and 4 100 megabit ports. Only the laptops
use the wireless all the other PC's are RJ45 wired. There is normally only me
and the girl friend using the network. She browses the net. May be stream a
film and a tv channel at the same time from the myth box when set up.
Occasionally one or two mates round for a networked game of C&C Generals.

Very of topic Geoff but how easy is it to get your blackberry to talk with
your Linux PC, for back up and editing files? I have an old Psion S5 that
needs to be retired and have been looking at a Blackberry as a replacement?