[CentOS] fstab problem after a failed drive

Gregory P. Ennis

PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sat Sep 22 21:19:54 UTC 2007

Everyone,

I installed a sata drive on a SuperMicro with SCSI drives.  No problem
with the installation.  Everything went as expected as the os recognized
the drive and assigned /dev/sdc to the new 300 gig Seagate drive.  I had
planned to use this drive for backup tarballs.

The drive had been functional for about a week with no problems.
Apparently it went out today when I tried to reboot the system.  Now the
boot process brings the system up into repair mode, but mounts the /
partition in "read only" status.  I can see that the original /dev/sdc
is present but /dev/sdc1 is not present.

I removed the drive completely and predictably /dev/sdc is no longer
present.

The problem I have now is that I have an entry in /etc/fstab that
references the disabled drive that I am unable to change because I can
only get to /etc/fstab in "read only" status.  I am sure there is way to
remove the entry to /dev/sdc1 but I have not been able to do so.

Any help would be appreciated

Greg Ennis