[CentOS] Central file server advice please

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Sat Sep 22 20:21:19 UTC 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007 15:12:23 Paul wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 20:53 +0100, John Bowden wrote:
> > >
> > > You realize the mythtv setup (if this machine is going to be the
> > > 'backend') really should be on a separate box?
> >
> > I was hoping a 2.6 gHz 32bit Athlon with 3Gb of ram would handle Myth and
> > the file storage.
>
> It depends on your setup ... if you have a capture card that does Mpeg
> encoding then CPU power is not an issue. I have an 800Mhz Athlon XP
> (under clocked) system running a backend.  The issue usually is if the
> box can keep up with the disk IO doing recording and streaming at the
> same time.  I have two drives in the box, one for the OS and another for
> storing the video.  The system does fine streaming to a front end at the
> same time it's recording std cable TV.
The O/S will be on its own drive on the non raid IDE. I will look around for a
high end dual tunner dab card.

> Adding file services with lots of IO might cause problems, it depends on
> the exact load your putting on it, adding RAM and using RAID 01
> (mirrored and striped) may work.  If you had issues, build a cheap
> sempon system to do the MythTV duties may be cheaper than making the
> server capable of doing both.
Can  do if the machine struggles, but I wont be writing much from the network
to it while I watch TV. may be an odd file and recording another TV channel
at the most. Network backups can be set up to run when the machine is idle.

> One note is RAID 1 is slower at writing that a single drive, but usually
> faster at reading.
>
> Paul

Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)
Registered Linux user number 414240