[CentOS] X11 virtual screens on centos 5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:56:37 UTC 2007

William L. Maltby wrote:

> I'm not sure when this next thing would be useful, but another thing
> that I think has a high degree of "coolity" is that I can "openvt" from
> an X terminal and work in the standard (usually 80x25) console screen.
>
> ... Oh wait! When my old eyes get tired of squinting (sometimes even
> virtual workspaces with a lower screen resolution and larger fonts don't
> seem to prevent eye strain after long hours), I find the standard 80x25
> very soothing and restful. Since I prefer CLI anyway, ...
>
> It's probably just preconditioning since I "grew up" on these types of
> screens. But I am getting more comfortable with the X stuff.

I can see why you might want vt's if you weren't running X or couldn't
run X for some reason.  I don't see the point of ever accessing a
non-windowed console instead of using xterms (or the kde/gnome
variations) if you have X running.  You can set whatever geometry and
font you like in them with several visible at once if you have
sufficient screen space, ssh among machines in text modes, and easily
cut and paste among them.  And you can group them in your X virtual
desktops if you dont' want to see them all at once.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com