[CentOS] CentOS 5.0 crash (cifs bug ?)

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 01:55:31 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Kuang-Chun Cheng <kcc1967 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Akemi,
>
> I were expected that there may have a CentOS testing repository
> which will offer the bug fixed kernel.   But ... this should be
> enough, I will try that.
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> KC

CentOS cannot provide the bug-fixed kernel because that would break
the 100% compatibility policy.  This means CentOS will inherit any
bugs present in the upstream.  But it was lucky that the patched
module was offered by CentOS. You cannot really expect the same from
upstream.

Just go to note 0004823 of the bug # 1776 and download the file
containing the cifs.ko that matches your arch.  Follow the
instructions in there to install it.

When you run modinfo on that cifs.ko, you will find the same output as
that of the original buggy version.  So, to check to see if the
installed cifs is indeed the patched version, issue this command:

cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData

*after* a Windows share has been mounted.  With the cifs module
carrying the bug, you will see garbled text.  The patched version
should show all normal text.

Akemi