[CentOS] searching for yum packages necessary for mail gateway

Mon Sep 24 12:46:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 13:01 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Rogelio Bastardo wrote:
> > I'm looking for the Red Hat equivalent of this Debian statement
> >
> > "apt-get –y install postfix mailscanner spamassassin bind9 clamav ssh
> > webmin webmin-core logwatch libspf2-0 libmail-spf-query-perl"
> >
> > "yum search" can't find some of the packages. Is there some sort of
> > online DB or something that I can search through to see which
> > repository I need to enable for some of those programs?
>
> You seem to need additional repositories for doing so.

I'd try getting yum repo definitions for all repos you MIGHT want to use
(rpmforge, atrpms, kbs, epel, ...) in /etc/yum.repos.d/ with all but the
standard/trusted ones disabled by default.  Could then run some variant
of:

# yum --enable \* install postfix mailscanner spamassassin bind9 \
clamav ssh webmin webmin-core logwatch libspf2-0 libmail-spf-query-perl

Yum will tell you what it wants to install, and what repos it has
chosen.  Can also use the yum "search" or "list" options to see what is
available with all repos enabled as above.  Could then try selectively
enabling repos to get the combination of packages you want you want.

> There is no mailscanner rpm for CentOS I'm aware of, as the author seems
> to be against packaging (I only picked that up during some discussion,
> so don't ask me for further details).

Seems some packages are out there:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/srodzaj/2/search/mailscanner-4.31.6-1suse91.src.rpm
http://www.alcancelibre.org/al/depositos/el5/repoview/mailscanner-0-4.50.15-3.9.el5.al.html

The second link claims to be compatible with RHEL5 (no OS version was
specified by the OP) and possibly other distros - can't vouch for it.
I'd be prone to try rebuilding from the 2nd SRPM if I wanted to install
mailscanner from a package.

Phil