[CentOS] Equivalent to Solaris Zones?

yonsy at blackhandchronicles.homeip.net yonsy at blackhandchronicles.homeip.net
Mon Sep 24 21:55:49 UTC 2007

Quoting Andy Harrison <aharrison at gmail.com>:

> I just wondered if there was an equivalent to Solaris Zones available
> for Linux.  Not necessarily a full blown separate operating system
> like vmware, but more like chroot on steroids...

We are using openvz at work, and is a excellent alternative to full
blown virtualization.

http://www.openvz.org

we have install now under centos4 and centos5 for example for dev groups
that have dedicated environments. openvz will provide tools and kernels
for both ones. The only "problem" that have is not full support for x86_64
system. but we have solved this problem (thanks to the openvz wiki) and
have servers with centos4 and centos5 VE (virtual environments).

we are prefering openvz over xen in centos5 install in almost all the
installs. The only diference is when we have a need to full virt (like running
rh7/rh8 inside a xen domain)

--
Black Hand