[CentOS] NFS issue

Dan

likuidkewl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:51:34 UTC 2007

I am currently running K12LTSP on Centos 5, which is working well but
without sound on most machines(ok all).  So in order to remedy this and the
cd-burning issue I have decided to try to install CentOS locally on one
machine and then apply the personalizations via NFS.

Steps:
I editted the /etc/exports to export the /home dir as per the NFS howto and
that seemed to work as the user homes were mounted in the correct place
after an edit to my /etc/fstab
"192.168.0.254:/home /mnt/home nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0" good :)

Then I started adding users, I added one user and did not create a
/home/user directory instead pointed the home folder to /mnt/home/user

But when I try to login as that user I got the dreaded:
"User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default
sessionand languages from being saved. File should be owned by user and have
644 Permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not
writable by other users."

So I looked into the permissions and this is what I see serverside:
[root at LTSP ~]# ls -al /home
total 64
drwxr-xr-x  8 root    root    4096 Sep 15 23:13 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root    root    4096 Sep 22 17:45 ..
drwx------ 27 ainsley ainsley 4096 Sep 23 19:13 ainsley
drwx------ 31 Dan     Dan     4096 Sep 24 21:42 Dan
drwx------ 27 darren  darren  4096 Sep 23 18:17 darren
drwx------ 33 devin   devin   4096 Sep 24 07:28 devin
drwx------ 22 kristi  kristi  4096 Sep 24 21:35 kristi
drwx------ 21 landen  landen  4096 Sep 24 21:14 landen

BUT when I look at the /mnt/home listing I see a completely different set of
permissions:

drwxr-xr-x  8 root    root    4096 Sep 15 23:13 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root    root    4096 Sep 22 17:45 ..
drwx------ 27 devin   devin 4096 Sep 23 19:13 ainsley
drwx------ 31 Dan     Dan     4096 Sep 24 21:42 Dan
drwx------ 27 kristi kristi  4096 Sep 23 18:17 darren
drwx------ 33 503   503   4096 Sep 24 07:28 devin
drwx------ 22 504 504  4096 Sep 24 21:35 kristi
drwx------ 21 505 505   4096 Sep 24 21:14 landen

the ones in bold are definately wrong, and I have no idea how they are being
set. unless it is because they are not accounts on the test machine yet but
then neither is the "landen" account and that one has the correct
permissions sort of....
the user numbers are correct for the user names by the way.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Dan