[CentOS] NFS issue

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Tue Sep 25 03:47:36 UTC 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Quoting Dan <likuidkewl at gmail.com>:
> NFS uses the user ID of the user (UID) for permissions. You will need
> to have the correct permissions on each system, and the correct
> username associated with the same UID on each machine.
>
> If you are running multiple systems, I would suggest looking into NIS.
> This will allow you to create the accounts in NIS and have them use
> the same details on each machine.

Good answer but I can't agree on the NIS part.. NIS is plain text over the
network and is deprecated for a long time. Sun is talking about dropping
support, HP the same and even in the Linux camp there is some talk about
taking NIS support out of the standard distributions.
Add to that the fact that ldap is becoming easier and easier to set up, you
should probably look that way...

Peter.