[CentOS] /boot partition or not on C5

Tue Sep 25 15:13:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 14:13 +0200, Alain Spineux wrote:
> Do you have multiple disk ?
> Can you search on all your disk for grub's files ?
>
> On 9/25/07, mark pryor <tlviewer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > the last 3 times I installed C5, the MBR was unchanged and nothing was
> > written into /boot/grub except splash.xbm.gz
> >
> > there were no stage* files, nor a menu.lst
> > I know how to fix that.
> >
> > Would I have better luck using a partition mounted as /boot?
> > Anyone succeded with Grub that way? I prefer not having to do surgery to get
> > C5 to boot :)

I remember having the nearly-empty /boot/grub directory before but
memory fails me as to the exact circumstances.

Have installed C5 with/without a /boot partition, but having a /boot
seems to be the safer bet.  If / is LVM a /boot is required as GRUB
doesn't seem to be able to deal with LVM - thus the "standard"
configuration one gets with a default install/partitioning.  (Following
the link within the link below may bring back memories of some very
extended threads for some on the list.  :-)

http://www.silug.org/lists/silug-discuss/200412/msg00104.html

Phil