[CentOS] XMMS on CentOS 5

Andreas Micklei andreas.micklei at ivistar.de
Wed Sep 26 08:20:26 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch, 26. September 2007 schrieb jarmo:
> Paul kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 26. syyskuuta 2007
> 05:35):
> > Fedora does not have it anymore in core ... it got shoved off to extras.
> > Other distros have dropped it also as it's gotten so out of date with
> > requirements for old libs.
> >
> > I XMMS was a favorite of mine as I was an old WINAMP user, but I finally
> > gave up and use Totem or Rhythmbox instead.
> >
> > Paul
> I have installed XMMS to centos 5 and it's working fine...
> For nostalgy or some other reasons... Totem and Rythm... Per-
> sonally don't like... Amarok yes, but as long XMMS works,
> using that...

You might want to try audacious. It looks and feels a lot like XMMS or WinAmp,
very different from Totem, Rhythmbox or Amarok. It uses modern libs and is
actively maintained. It is the perfect XMMS drop-in replacement. It's in
Fedora, and I think RPMs for CentOS/RHEL are in DAG.

Andreas Micklei

Andreas Micklei
IVISTAR Kommunikationssysteme AG
Ehrenbergstr. 19 / 10245 Berlin, Germany

Handelsregister: Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 75173
Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE207795030
Vorstand: Dr.-Ing. Dirk Elias
Aufsichtsratsvorsitz: Dipl.-Betriebsw. Frank Bindel