[CentOS] Newbie: how to install from Windows?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:24:50 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, Labaki <labakiturbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just joined this mailing list a couple of minutes ago. I'll start to
> use CentOS for academic purposes. We'll try to build a cluster
> based in machines with this OS.
>
> First of all, I'd like to beg you for patience, because I'm comple-
> tly new in Linux.
>
> My first question is: every tutorial on installation talks about
> inserting an installation CD, but I'm not sure about what do it
> means... I've downloaded the four files .iso availabe in CentOS.org,
> but I don't know what to do with them. Should I burn this files
> into de CD the way they are? Should I unzip them before this?
>
> Details: I'm using Windows, trying to install CentOS 4 in a 32
> bit's PC. I've downloaded CentOS-4.5-i386-bin.......iso.
>
> Thank you for any help!
> J. Labaki

An ISO file is an "image" of a CD that contains the actual CD
contents, sort of like a zip file.  However, if you "unzip" the ISO
file, it will not work correctly when you burn it to a CD.  Instead,
you need to copy it to a CD using a special program designed for that.
 The windows program "ISO recorder" (you can find it on google), that
will allow you to burn the ISO correctly.  After you install ISO
recorder, right-click on the the ISO file and choose "copy to cd".

Otherwise, I'm afraid this list isn't the right place to ask for
beginner help.  I would check out this page:
http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html to start your
introduction to Linux, or start a search of google.  You will also
find manuals for centos 4 here: http://www.centos.org/docs/4/

You have a lot to learn, but it should be fun as you do, and you will
learn far more about computers than you know now.  Try not to get
discouraged, as sometimes things are not obvious!