[CentOS] RPM package wish list

Tomasz 'Zen' Napierala zen at allegro.pl
Fri Sep 28 09:22:41 UTC 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 02:14:30 mark pryor wrote:
> hello,
>
> Does our beloved Centos project have a page where one can request that an
> RPM package be built, especially for C5? How about alerts when those
> requests have been satisfied?
>
> I know about 3rd party repos like rpmforge, epel, and kbextras. I can
> search those in YUM.
>
> Centos seems to have specialized as a server OS in the past, but my
> experience is that it is an up and coming desktop/workstation OS too. Many
> folks might like to see packages built that are more Desktop oriented,
> which are not available in upstream, nor in the 3rd party repos.

As you may know, CentOS is strictly following upstream, e.g RHEL, and this
simple rule is it's biggest strenght. I'm affraid that the only way to
provide extra packages is through 3rd party repos. From rpmforge
website: "Apart from reporting problems, you could request other useful tools
and programs to be added. Or even better, send us a working package that we
can build on."

Regards,
--
Tomasz Napierala