[CentOS] Sound problems on envidia 6510 in Compaq SR5110NX

Chuck Mattern

camattern at acm.org
Sun Sep 30 23:24:09 UTC 2007

I've go a Compaq Presario (SR5110NX) that I've loaded CentOS 5 on and
all is well except for the sound card.  I understand that OSS supports
the chipset but it's not being detected an loaded properly and I've
invested a significant amount of time already.  I've probably got an old
supported card lying around here somewhere but I hat to give up on the
principal.  I would rather not download the proprietary drivers as that
will create a dependency when the kernel is upgraded and I'm shipping
this off to a remote law office where I'd like them to be a little more
self sufficient than having to have me log in and recompile each time
they upgrade a kernel.  Any experience or advise with this would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Chuck