[CentOS] NIS binding probs w/Firewall and SELinux

Thu Sep 6 23:58:22 UTC 2007
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

I have RHEL5 Server originally configured and installed by me with Firewall
enabled, but passing through NFS, Samba, and SSH.   I then disabled SELinux.

As you all likely recall, I had configured a test environment to get samba and
nfs/nis up and running.  I got it going, and recently brought it to a
production server.

After modifying the files on the production server and rebooting, I'm getting
the long pause of the server trying to bind to my yp domain, then failing.
When I finally was able to log in, SELinux warned me that I could get past the
ypbind problem by issuing a command, which I did.

I then restarted ypbind, and got a delay/timeout again.

I'll check the log files tomorrow for any further hints.

Is there a file I can edit to ensure SELinux is disabled?   The system was
initially installed with SELinux Enabled, then disabled later by me.

In the meantime, I did find
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/security-guide/s1-server-nis.html
and will see if that may help.

I think once I get past beyond the security issues, yp will work/bind fine.

Thanks for any help/insights.

Scott