[CentOS] nVdia C15G chipset and GeForce 6100 on board graphix controller - SOLVED

Mon Sep 17 19:04:17 UTC 2007
Chris Geldenhuis <chris.gelden at iafrica.com>

Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>> On 8/29/07, Chris Geldenhuis <cgeldenhuis at jhb.ullmanns.co.za> wrote:
>>

>>> I am new to installing drivers etc. Could you possible give me a few
>>> pointers to help me along the way.
>>>

>> RPMForge makes installing the nvidia drivers reasonably easy. Simply
>> run 'yum install nvidia-x11-drv' and then reboot.
>>
>> Instructions for RPMForge are at
>> http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/RPMForge
>>

> Hi again,
>
> I have followed Jim's instructions to add the RPMforge repository and
> to download the nvidia-x11-drv driver from there.
>
> When rebooting after this the system instruct me to re-configure the
> X11 configuration, when doing this using the "gui" screens provided I
> cannot select a screen but can select the nVidia card and then the
> nVidia driver. The configuration generated still does not work - I
> attach a copy of the Xorg.0.log generated. In this log there is a
> mention of using the GLX driver/module from nVidia.
>
> While inspecting /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions I noticed a
> sub-directory "nvida" that contained a file "libglx.so". I renamed the
> libglx.so file in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions and copied the
> file in the nvidia sub directory into it's place - and rebooted. The
> reconfiguration of X11 still would not allow me to select a screen and
> also did not work. I attach a copy of the Xorg log "Xorg.0.log.2"
> where it seems as if the correct GLX module has now been found but
> without  giving me a useable X11 configuration.
>
> Any suggestion on how to proceed from here would be welcome - if
> entails getting another graphics card please suggest a suitable card
> that will run without hassles.
>
> TIA
>
> ChrisG

<snip>
</snip>

Hi All,

I have finally found the solution to the problem of the invisible mouse
pointer - from a tip given to me by Chris from Tangent Systems.

When you insert an Option line as shown below in the "Device" section of
the xorg.conf file the mouse pointer stays visible.

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        Option      "HWCursor"    "off"