[CentOS] CentOS-5 - Suffering from LDAP experimentation

Thu Sep 27 20:01:17 UTC 2007
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I was playing aeound with the GUI authentication configuration and was
called away from my desk after I had configured the LDAP DC entries but
before I had tried to start the ldap server or do much of anything else.
When I returned the terminal session was screen-saver locked and entering
my user password did not make it respond. I kept getting a time-out error.
Rebooting took forever and was delayed for long periods at two points that
I do not recall as being problems before; Loading IPtablesv6? and Starting
system message bus.  More importantly the user GUI takes forever to start.

I am seeing these entries in the /var/log/merssages filr (vis ssh login
through another system.):

Sep 27 15:37:13 inet02 perl: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't contact LDAP server
Sep 27 15:37:13 inet02 perl: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 8 seconds)...
Sep 27 15:37:21 inet02 perl: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't contact LDAP server
Sep 27 15:43:26 inet02 gdm[3483]: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server
ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't contact LDAP server
Sep 27 15:43:26 inet02 gdm[3483]: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server -
Server is unavailable

So, how do I undo whateever it is I borked when I experimented with LDAP?

This is a rtestbox aso a re-install is not out of the question.

I am digest subscriber so if you could copy me directly on any reply to
the list I would be very appreciative.

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3