[CentOS] glibc errors related to nss_ldap or pam_ldap?

Thu Sep 27 20:51:51 UTC 2007
Bjorn Oglefjorn <sys.mailing at gmail.com>

I am trying to track down the cause of some errors that have been occurring
on a number of our servers using LDAP. We have noticed that when a certain
LDAP group exceeds 65 users we begin seeing glibc errors for users in the
group. Users that are not in the group do not exhibit this behavior.

We have seen this issue on machines running Centos 4.5 x86 & x86_64 with
glibc-2.3.4-2.36 and RH4 x86_64 running glibc-2.3.4-2.25. We are running
Fedora Directory Server 1.0.4 on Centos 4.5. We have added a 3rd FDS slave
and turned up debugging but have not seen anything that appears to be
relevant in the logs on the 3rd slave.

This problem is not a 65 user limit as we have other groups with well over
65 members that do not display this behavior. We also created a new group
with identical users and it did not display this problem.

1) With 66 users in the massweb group

[root at megalon ~]# getent group massweb
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x09a225b0 ***
Aborted

2) After removing any user from the massweb group to reduce the total
members to 65

[root at megalon ~]# getent group massweb
massweb:x:3016:afaxon,ashairza,ccrump,jhorowit,mmarum,morendai,usmall,adroffne,afaxon,amurphre,aoliver,ayellipe,bdonohue,bdunn,beckert,blarsen,bwphilli,catanis,ccrump,chaynes,clyons,cwong,dbarber,dmuse,dnicol,edougher,egallant,ekubosia,evizcain,feeddrop,gtulonen,halokush,hbraverm,jbartus,jbrown,jhobbs,jking,jlederma,jpecora,jthayer,kbalbedi,kbeam,kginn,mbuonfig,mcrawfor,mlarsen,mlong,mwalsh,osedano,proche,prondeau,pweinber,rhorriga,rkersey,rskutins,sasaro,sbrodeur,sculver,smoriart,support,swestenh,tbaltimo,torgelfi,usmall,vvalenti

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with nss_ldap or pam_ldap? Any
suggestions would be most
welcome.

Best regards
-BO