[CentOS] PHP5/CentosPlus big mess.

Fri Sep 28 15:15:44 UTC 2007
David Mackintosh <David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com>

Ok, so if you tuned in last time, I couldn't make the installation/upgrade of
PHP5 from the Centos4 CentOS Plus repository work.  Not one to be easilly
dissuaded, I shapened my shovel and dug myself a hole.

So using the exclude= lines in the repository config file backfired big time:
even if I excluded the exclude= lines, yum continued to exclude the files
on those lines, and only deigned to update three php files.  Thus, my user
complained that the mysql pieces were not there.

So what I did was install CentOS 4 fresh into a VM, update it, then I just
did a:

# yum --enablerepo centosplus --exclude php-pecl-ssh2 --exclude php-eaccelerator --exclude php-pear-Image-GraphViz --exclude php-pear-PHPUnit2 install php php*

(see the explanations for the --excludes on http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/CentOS/4/Updating+to+PHP+5)

Please with my illusion of progress, I then copied the RPMs from the local
cache to my target machine, and installed them with

# rpm -Uvh --nodeps --replacefiles *rpm

The --nodeps was because some other package not otherwise updated
depended on the previous version of php-pear, and the --replacefiles
was because rpm was complaining that some file owned by mysql-4
conflicted with the mysql-5 package even though it was going to be
"upgraded".

Now, my users are complaining about errors like:

[28-Sep-2007 10:32:29] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/modules/fileinfo.so' - /usr/lib/php/modules/fileinfo.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
[28-Sep-2007 10:32:29] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/modules/apc.so' - /usr/lib/php/modules/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
[...repeat for each file in /usr/lib/php/modules/...]

However, those "files" are there:

# ls -l /usr/lib/php/modules/fileinfo.so /usr/lib/php/modules/apc.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 75652 Nov 24  2006 /usr/lib/php/modules/apc.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 10580 Nov 24  2006 /usr/lib/php/modules/fileinfo.so

I don't know anything about how to get php to show these errors, since
the simple phpinfo.php file works (but admittedly it doesn't really do anything).

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or perhaps offer me other
directions in which to dig?

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |