[CentOS] Performance of CentOS as a NAT gateway

Sun Sep 9 03:56:42 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> We have a single 3GHz P4 box w/2GB RAM running CentOS 3.8, acting as a
> gateway, which serves multiple IP address, having one virtual
> interface for each IP, e.g., eth0:1, eth0:2, etc.  These
> interfaces/IPs are on the public internet.  Each of these IP addresses
> is the NAT address for a different small LAN.  All of these LANs are
> connected through a single Linksys 100Mb switch, to eth1 on the
> gateway.  Thus, in case it's not obvious from that description,
> traffic from LAN X travels through through the switch to eth1 on the
> gateway, where iptables translates it to the IP address of eth0:X and
> thence out to the net.
>
> The gateway is totally idle except for handling these NATs; no other
> processes except the usual OS bookkeeping.  All NIC and switch
> hardware involved is 100Mb.
>
> This all works, but we're experiencing network congestion somewhere.
> The LANs appear to become saturated when only about 10Mb of total
> traffic is passing through the public IPs.  That is, we seem to be
> losing almost 90% of our capacity somewhere in the translation.
>
> Before we attempt to sweep this under the rug by using Gb
> NICs/switches for the LANs, we'd like to understand what's going on.
> I can't find any recent statistics for Linux NAT performance, but the
> older stuff I can find (e.g. 50k packets/sec for a P3-450Mhz) seems to
> indicate that the gateway should easily be up to the task of handling
> the NAT traffic.  Am I wrong about this?  Is there any way to diagnose
> whether the NAT is the bottleneck?  Would we benefit from upgrading to
> a newer CentOS (2.6 kernel as opposed to 2.4)?  Or is it more likely
> to be the switch, in which case what would be a recommended
> replacement for the Linksys?
>
> I can provide more details in private mail if necessary.  Thanks in
> advance for any ideas.

The setup is more then capable at running 100Mbps full-out routing
and NATing.

Has the Internet interface reached it's max capacity?

10Mbps is a lot of traffic on even a FIOS connection.

Or are you saying that LAN-to-LAN traffic maxs out at 10Mbps, it is
a little vague.

-Ross