[CentOS] Centos Router

Wed Sep 12 02:31:56 UTC 2007
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Graham Johnston wrote:
> With the current discuss of "Performance of CentOS as a NAT gateway", I
> am curious how many people out there are using CentOS as a
> Router/Firewall in an enterprise or service provider environment.  For
> myself I am not really concerned about NAT just a stateful firewall.

For stateful firewalls, one should use OpenBSD and pf if .

netfilter has caught up on the stateful side with tcp window tracking
but I do not think that support is in Centos 4 and below. Centos 5
should have it.

> The other half of my questions is about performance.  I have read many
> articles and posts on the net about performance tuning but they all seem
> to be about tuning a single host, not a router.  Does any have any tips
> in this area?  Is tuning even required.

If it is a natting firewall, forget about performance. There is a
maximum to natting support beyond configuring the maximum number of
connections being tracked.

Bridging stateful firewalls will find OpenBSD both more stable and
better performing. Non-natting stateful firewalls no comment sorry.

> For the sake of the conversation lets assume I am referring to CentOS 5.

For full stateful support, we would have to. All previous Centos only
offer connection tracking.