[CentOS] Accidentally removed glibc & glibc-devel :: Help

Wed Sep 12 05:14:04 UTC 2007
Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 01:53:08PM +1000, geekylucas alleged:
> Hi,
>
> I attempted to ugprade glibc & glibc-devel and ended up removing them
> entirely by accident.  *idiot*
>
> What are the steps needed to get glibc back onto my system.
> Absolutely nothing is working at the moment, rpm, yum, etc.  I presume
> I'm going to have to boot from a rescue CD of some kind.
>
> If someone could outline how to do this, or point me to some docs I
> would be most grateful.  (CentOS 4.3)

If you are doing anything other than 'yum update', then you are doing it wrong :)

Just boot a centos 4.3 cd/dvd into rescue mode, mount your filesystems rw, and
install the glibc package from the CD with 'rpm -r /path'.

And don't forget to update your system as the current is 4.5.