[CentOS] CentOS 5 on IA64

Wed Sep 12 10:00:30 UTC 2007
Les Bell <lesbell at lesbell.com.au>

"Lamar Owen" <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

What is the minimum for actual hardware?  I have a small s390 here that
I've
been looking for a reason to power up.  What sort of access is needed?
<<

Typical install minimum is around 512 MB RAM and a few GB of DASD. If
you're installing in an LPAR you'll need to use the HMC to boot install
media from CD-ROM or tape. Under VM, you can use a CMS profile disk to move
the initial boot files onto DASD, then run a REXX exec to punch them to a
virtual RDR and then re-ipl. Once the install-time kernel has started, you
need to drive the install via SSH, or remote X or VNC (I forget which
mechanisms RHEL supports) and it needs to use either a physical interface
or a guest LAN interface, IUCV or VCTC to do that as well as download the
installation packages.

Once installation is done, I don't know what resources would be required to
rebuild the entire distro - that's where the developers come in. And
obiously another LPAR or VM guest would be required to test the built 5.0
system.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]