[CentOS] CentOS 5 on IA64

Wed Sep 12 17:02:48 UTC 2007
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca>

Steve Rigler wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 16:16 -0700, James A. Peltier wrote:
>
>> BTW: Anyone out there have CentOS on SGI Altix?
>
> We have two Altix machines (256p BX2 and 24p 3700) that are still stuck
> on SGI PP3 because we're hesitant to go to SuSE.  I recall SGI saying
> that RHEL 4 (and thus CentOS 4) should work but that RedHat has a
> "hangup" on supporting anything with more than 16 CPU's.
>
> We have a "test" 8p Altix 350 that, if I can find some time, I might try
> to install CentOS on it.
>
> -Steve

ProPack 5 has support for RHEL 5, thus why I would prefer to wait for
CentOS 5.  I'm in a holding pattern on my migration until then since PP4
is not *officially* supported on RHEL 4.

Currently my machines ( 64p x 64g 3700 & 32p x 32g prism) are running
RHEL AS 3 PP3SP6 and SLES 10 PP4SP3.  CentOS 5 and ProPack 5 offers my
users a great deal in terms of support and features.  I get regular
updates, much newer software and "supported" (not from SGI) ProPack 5.

BTW: I tried booting on my 3700 it booted the kernel to a point where it
identified the serial number and machine configuration details but
didn't seem to go any further.  I only messed with it for about 20 mins
during a downtime period so it was far from comprehensive testing.
Hopefully, when the loaner Altix 450 arrives I can work out some of the
bugs.

--
James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE