[CentOS] hardware raid vs fake raid

Thu Sep 13 14:50:59 UTC 2007
Sebastian Walter <sebastian.walter at fu-berlin.de>

Hi Tom,

Tom Diehl wrote:
> Does anyone know how  I can find out if an ibm serveraid 8k sas storage
> controller (zero channel RAID) is a real hardware RAID controller and
> supported in the standard CentOs kernel or is it a fake raid controller.
> I am trying to decide if I should get the serveraid controller or go get
> a 3ware controller.

although not the freshest, this site always turned out to be helpful
getting infos for SATA "raid" cards (the "fake check"):

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

In the according document,

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sas.html

nothing is stated about a fake SAS card (but indeed about linux
compatibility). Maybe in this league, cheating customers is not so
common. Does anybody know a SAS/SCSI raid card which does hidden
software raid instead of hardware?

Regards,
Sebastian