[CentOS] Re: hardware raid vs fake raid

Thu Sep 13 15:20:28 UTC 2007
Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk>

Tom Diehl wrote:
> They do but nothing I can find in there tells me if it is real hardware
> raid or fake raid.  Adaptec for example, also says that their fake raid
> cards
> are comaptable with Linux but they do not clearly specify if it is fake
> raid
> or true hardware Raid. AFAIK the Adaptec cards are all fake Raid. and
> some of
> ServeRaid cards were also based on the Adaptec chipset and hence Fake Raid.

My IBM x3500 machines have this card:

# lspci
03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (Rocket) (rev 02)

I'm not quite sure if this also has an IBM serveraid name.

I don't think it is fakeraid; setting up raid devices can take
place at bios level, the buildup of the RAID5 or RAID6 volumes
can run without any drivers loaded.

If this is fakeraid I would like a clear definition of the term
fakeraid.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk