[CentOS] tftp-server, unable to create new files (even with "-c" option)

Thu Sep 13 19:13:20 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

>>> Just to make sure, is the /tftpboot directory set to perms 777?
>> Not that that parent directory (/tftpboot) requires (or should
>> ever have) anything like that to work
>>
>>   -- why the voodoo suggestion?
>
> Because if you are allowing any old anonymous user to write to
> that directory then why would one care if you only allowed group
> 'nobody' to write there?
>
> You could set it to 755 and create a 'cisco' dir underneath with
> 777, but I would leave that for when it's working.
>
> Chances are though everything under /tftpboot is subject to
> modification and /tftpboot will need to be a separate volume to
> protect against DoS through filling up the disk drive.

The usual approach is to create the filename yourself (ssh in and "touch
devicename-confg") and chmod it to 666 before doing the tftp.  That way
you don't have to let tftp create any files and its lack of
authentication is less of an issue).  If you are committing the configs
to cvs (a good idea, since you can easily track changes), note that cvs
for some reason will change the modes as a side effect of the commit and
you'll have to put them back to 666 before the next tftp in.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com