[CentOS] question on alias IPs using ifcfg-eth0:x

Fri Sep 14 19:38:10 UTC 2007
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

Barry Brimer wrote:
> I apparently have my alias files all ifcfg-eth0:0 - ifcfg-eth0:7 show
>
>> DEVICE=eth0:0.  Is this right?  It seems odd to me and while it does
>> seem odd, the alias IPs are being appropriately responded to, answering
>> pings and nameserver requests.
>>

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0 = DEVICE=eth0:0
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1 = DEVICE=eth0:1

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your quick response.  I am going to make those changes and
restart network services in a few minutes.

My question now is, how can the box be responding to all those IPs with
the ifcfg-eth0:x files clearly not what they should be?

Not a crucial question, but one of interest.

Thanks again,
~Ray