[CentOS] Software Raid 6

Sun Sep 16 14:33:20 UTC 2007
Juan C. Valido <jvalidolnx at juanyjosefina.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Feizhou
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:35 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Software Raid 6

Feizhou wrote:
> Juan C. Valido wrote:
>> How slow and how reliable is software raid 6 on CentOS 5. The system I'm
>> going to use is A socket 939 dual core Athlon, 4 gigs of ram and a 3ware
>> 7506-8 controller. Its mostly going to be used for storage (Movies, MP3s
>> etc.). Thanks.

Argh...just read the SOFTWARE RAID 6. Man, does the 3ware turn me into
hardware mode...

I do not know...I personally have stayed away from linux software raid
for raid5/6. You might actually find raid10 hardware mode to be faster
than software raid 5/6 but at the cost of less storage and but better
reliability in power loss cases.