[CentOS] Re: CentOS5 Network Problems

Fri Sep 21 16:44:46 UTC 2007
semi linux <linuxsemi at gmail.com>

On 9/21/07, Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <alpine.LRH.0.9999.0709202012480.12238 at hogwarts.egr.duke.edu>,
> Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 at 5:04pm, semi linux wrote
> >
> > > Wicked! that worked... How weird...  I'm going to have to look this up
> > > and read about it... it seems weird that the kernel would have it on
> > > by default if it's as common as it seems to me.
> > >
> > > Thanks a million!
> > >
> > > You don't happen to have any links of where you found this, do you?
> >
> > Here's one:
> >
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/
> >
> > Bottom line is that the behavior is a result of broken routers, and the
> > kernel leaves it enabled because it *should* work.
>
> Would be interesting to know what make/model of router the original poster
> is using, that exhibited this problem, and which firmware version.
>
> Unless the problem is in his ISP....
>
> Cheers
> Tony

It's further up the line... remember, some websites work, others
don't... I suppose it depends on the amount of data coming from the
remote site, but everything internal works great and the bigger sites,
like google, yahoo, mapquest, etc. all work fine... it's the smaller
sites that I had problems with...  Believe me, I wish I knew when this
problem was but I don't think it's any of the networking gear here in
the office...

Thanks to everyone who replied... I would have been searching for
weeks on this one.

- G.