[CentOS] Formatting a large disk

Sun Sep 23 18:43:48 UTC 2007
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 11:30 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 9/23/07, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > gist of it was that in any other partition the tools would not
> > increase the block size above 512
>
> Sorry for the self-follow-up ... but I meant "sector size" there, not "block".

IIRC, sector size is controlled at the hardware level(used to be set
with jumpers and/or low-level format programs?). I seem to recall that
new drives don't really have "sectors" anymore, but have supporting
circuits/(EE)proms that emulate that?

I've never seen a sector size that could be set by a partioning program.

But I've certainly not seen *everything*.

--
Bill