[CentOS] question on "yum --enablerepo=centos "

Sun Sep 23 22:56:43 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Rogelio Bastardo wrote:
> I'm installing Fruity for Nagios using the 4.4 Single Server CD and want
> to force upgrade PHP 4 to PHP 5 without having to upgrade everything on
> CentOSplus.

First off ... the php in CentOSPlus is part of the CentOS Web Stack ...
if you use that php, you will need to use all the things that go with it
from the Stack.  See this page:

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/CentOSPlus/CentOSWebStack

> In order to install Nagios, I have to first enable RPMforge.  However,
> to use Fruity, I have to use PHP 5, which isn't included in the RPMforge
> repository, unless I enable CentOSplus and yum update/upgrade everything
> (which I did eventually, just to get everything working).
>
> While in 4.x, I tried to enable *just* PHP with a command (something
> like) the following:
>
>     yum --enablerepo=centosplus upgrade php*
>
> After doing so, however, I got all these errors saying that it couldn't
> update it b/c other things were needing updating (Pear, I think, was one
> of them). Perhaps this had to do with me installing RPMforge and using
> protect-plugins.
>
> Is there a way to force an update of, say, PHP and have also force an
> update on everything directly needed to install PHP?  I don't mind
> everything directly associated to the one package I need being updated,
> but I'd prefer to peg the other programs and not let them update.

The wiki page should answer most of your questions ... if it doesn't
please post any issues that you have.