[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4.5 system doesn't boot after installing latest updates

Tue Sep 25 00:38:12 UTC 2007
Michael Kratz <mkratz at internode.com.au>

On 25/09/2007, at 6:41 AM, Scott Silva wrote:

> Alfred von Campe spake the following on 9/24/2007 1:59 PM:
>>> Today I decided to install all the latest updates (including the
>>> -06 kernel).  The "yum update" seems to have run just fine (no
>>> errors), but when I rebooted the system it just sits there with
>>> the word "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner.  I booted from the
>>> CentOS 4.5 install CD into rescue mode, did a "chroot /mnt/
>>> sysimage" and reinstalled grub and the latest kernel, but it
>>> still gets stuck in the same place.  It's not that I can't boot
>>> the new kernel; I can't even get to the grub screen!
>> I'll answer my own question.  In addition to re-installing grub, a
>> "grub-install /dev/sda" was required to get the system to boot.  I
>> thought that reinstalling grub via yum/rpm would take care of it,
>> but apparently it didn't.  Lesson learned, panic averted.
>> Alfred
> That is what most of us probably thought you meant when you said
> you re-installed grub.

Out of interest, is this something that is always required when
upgrading Grub?

i.e. should one always manually run "grub-install" /dev/XXX" after
doing so?

Cheers,

Michael