[CentOS] NFS issue

Tue Sep 25 02:57:21 UTC 2007
Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au>

Quoting Dan <likuidkewl at gmail.com>:

> But when I try to login as that user I got the dreaded:
> "User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default
> sessionand languages from being saved. File should be owned by user and have
> 644 Permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not
> writable by other users."
>
> So I looked into the permissions and this is what I see serverside:
> [root at LTSP ~]# ls -al /home
> total 64
> drwxr-xr-x  8 root    root    4096 Sep 15 23:13 .
> drwxr-xr-x 24 root    root    4096 Sep 22 17:45 ..
> drwx------ 27 ainsley ainsley 4096 Sep 23 19:13 ainsley
> drwx------ 31 Dan     Dan     4096 Sep 24 21:42 Dan
> drwx------ 27 darren  darren  4096 Sep 23 18:17 darren
> drwx------ 33 devin   devin   4096 Sep 24 07:28 devin
> drwx------ 22 kristi  kristi  4096 Sep 24 21:35 kristi
> drwx------ 21 landen  landen  4096 Sep 24 21:14 landen
>
> BUT when I look at the /mnt/home listing I see a completely different set of
> permissions:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  8 root    root    4096 Sep 15 23:13 .
> drwxr-xr-x 24 root    root    4096 Sep 22 17:45 ..
> drwx------ 27 devin   devin 4096 Sep 23 19:13 ainsley
> drwx------ 31 Dan     Dan     4096 Sep 24 21:42 Dan
> drwx------ 27 kristi kristi  4096 Sep 23 18:17 darren
> drwx------ 33 503   503   4096 Sep 24 07:28 devin
> drwx------ 22 504 504  4096 Sep 24 21:35 kristi
> drwx------ 21 505 505   4096 Sep 24 21:14 landen
>
> the ones in bold are definately wrong, and I have no idea how they are being
> set. unless it is because they are not accounts on the test machine yet but
> then neither is the "landen" account and that one has the correct
> permissions sort of....
> the user numbers are correct for the user names by the way.

NFS uses the user ID of the user (UID) for permissions. You will need
to have the correct permissions on each system, and the correct
username associated with the same UID on each machine.

If you are running multiple systems, I would suggest looking into NIS.
This will allow you to create the accounts in NIS and have them use
the same details on each machine.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au