[CentOS] Postgres Config File (eg: PGDATA)

Tue Sep 25 08:18:50 UTC 2007
Marko A. Jennings <markobiz at bluegargoyle.com>

On Tue, September 25, 2007 3:34 am, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> need some clarification on whether there is a config file sourced by the
> init script to determine where PGDATA is located.
>
> Right now, it seems like it's not sourced from anywhere by located on
> the init file itself.
>
> Appreciate if you guys can let me know if this is the correct place for
> altering it.

Multiple instances of Postgres database will have separate init scripts.
The location of the config file for each init script is

/etc/sysconfig/pgsql/<init-script-name>

For example, for the default init script (/etc/init.d/postgresql) that
gets installed with Postgres, the config file is
/etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql .  Although the /etc/sysconfig/pgsql
directory gets created when Postgres is installed, you will not find any
config files in it initially.  In order to change the default PGDATA
(and/or PGPORT) values, you sill need to create appropriately named config
file that will look like this:

PGDATA=/data/pg
PGPORT=3456

You don't need to set both values in it if you are changing only one
default value.

I hope this helps.

Marko