[CentOS] Re: parted - is there a problem

Tue Sep 25 16:12:44 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 9/24/2007 3:42 PM Gregory P. Ennis spake the following:
> Everyone,
>
> I recently added a 300gig Seagate sata drive on a Centos 5.0 and have a
> couple of questions.
>
> The drive was recognized with the device as /dev/sdc.  The system came
> with some SCCI drives that are labeled as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.  I was
> surprised that the sata drives used sdc.  Are the sata drives considered
> more like SCCI or IDE drives?
>
> The real problem occurred when I tried to partition the drive with
> parted.  I used he command mkpart to form one partition of 300 gigs
> which created /dev/sdc1, and then after 'quiting' parted used mkfs.ext3
> to create a file system. Everything went as expected with the ability to
> mount the file system and copy files into it.  However, /dev/sdc1
> disappeared when I rebooted.  After the reboot /dev/sdc1 was missing and
> CentOs obviously could not recognize the partition.  The error is
> probably related to my lack of experience with parted so I tried it 2
> other times with the same results.
>
> I finally gave up and used fdisk which  has worked without a problem.
>
> By way of observation I could not find a 'write to disk' command in
> parted like what is present in fdisk.  Is there a problem with parted or
> I am just lacking in knowledge of some of the parted commands.
> Certainly could not find any write like statements in the man pages or
> the info pages.
>
> Are there others of you that use parted?  What did I do wrong?
>
> Greg Ennis
Do you remember what command you used to create the partition?
Should be something like mkpart primary ext2

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and