[CentOS] remote tar via ssh

Wed Sep 26 20:35:57 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thank you for all
>
> After I untar those files from machine B to machineA
> eg: in second harddrive  /dev/hdb1
>
> I put this hardrive in another computer /dev/hda
>
> how can I boot properly as same as machineB
>
> I did it before
> use the bootable CD, mount it
> chroot
> and then grub-install /dev/hda
> but it is bootable but kernal panic

You have to pay attention to your partition layout and make it match in
2 places.  /boot/grub/grub.conf (this is the real copy, /etc/grub.conf
is a symlink that should still be pointed there...).  Be sure the root=
settings are right, and if they mention a label, add the label to the
partition.  Also, /etc/fstab - you can either change fstab to match the
partition device names or add labels to match the old system.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com