[CentOS] mysql and windows

Sat Sep 29 00:49:07 UTC 2007
gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net <gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net>

Don't forget that pg has it's own windows app for managing it too.  So you can try doing things via the GUI to see how they mesh then move to the command line when you want to get your hands dirty.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:38:35
Subject: Re: [CentOS] mysql and windows

On Friday 28 September 2007, Brad Beyenhof wrote:
> What about for new database users? I assume there's boatloads of
> documentation for all options, but which tends to work well for those
> attempting to learn DB management?
Depends on what your goal is... If it is just "how does a rdbms work" then
mysql would be easier because it has the better set of graphical/webbased
management tools (phpmyadmin is impressive). mysql is also a little bit
easier to setup at the beginning.

If you're looking to do more interesting things like tablespaces (stuff that
you can find in the large commercial engines) you need to go with pg. many
people get turned off pg when they can't figure out authentication within the
first 5 minutes but it is well worth it to me.

Peter.