[CentOS] DKMS

Sat Apr 5 14:58:33 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

Alan,

I knew of the Dell article, as I have all of those saved for reference.
[1] I was just wondering if you knew of any that were for someone knew
to Linux. You know the Microsoft type tutorials that have screenshot
with them. That's the question I get asked a lot of times from around my
home area.

In turn when these users that are new to Linux they get discouraged when
they can't visualy see pictures or have to edit some text file. They
just use to doing things the M$ Way. CentOS could have a much broader
user base (Huge), the biggest user base around if simple things like
this could be done. i realize though it take volunteers to do this on
the wiki.

[1] DKMS was originally meant for updating Dells server hardware
(drivers) see:
http://linux.dell.com/dkms/dkms-ols2004.pdf  and Sys Admins, but has
come further than that.
Install DKMS. Install driver, hope like hell it works on kernel update

Other than looking at http://linux.del.com/dkms/dkms-ols2004.pdf and Section
#2 of http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules (ignore the title
of the article), what else do you need to know?

Alan.
On 04/04/2008, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Other than looking at http://linux.del.com/dkms/dkms-ols2004.pdf and
> Section #2 of http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules