[CentOS] redirecting outside connections to https on apache

Mon Apr 14 17:00:26 UTC 2008
ankush grover <ankushcentos at gmail.com>

Hi friends,

There are about 15 applications hosted on different in our
infrastructure mostly running on apache/iis/tomcat. We have a frontend
apache server running on Centos 4.4 64bit which make these
applications accessible to outside world.

For the applications which are running on tomcat we are running
jkmount to make these applications available without mentioning tomcat
ports. For apache/iis applications we are using ProxyPass. The issue
we are facing is that we are not able to make these applications
accessible through https automatically means if the user is not from
within the LAN then the http link should automatically redirected to
https. We already have GoDaddy stamped ssl certificate on this apache
frontend server but we are struggling for rules for outside world.

What is the best way to make these applications accessible to outside
world through https connections only that is if somebody use
http://xx.xx.com/xx to use the application it should be redirected to
https we don't have the requirement for https connections from within
the LAN but definitely for outside connections.

JkMount /team/* team
JkMount /team team

Then we have rules for this in the workers.properties file

ProxyPass /public http://my.testing.com/public
ProxyPassReverse /public https://my.testing.com/public

Please let me know do you need any further inputs

Thanks & Regards

Ankush