[CentOS] Can't get .htaccess to work

Fri Apr 18 20:12:02 UTC 2008
Pam Astor <pamastor at hotmail.com>

Hi,

I'm trying to password protect one of my web accessable
directories and I can't get .htaccess to work in a Centos 5.1 box
Here's what I did

I created an .htaccess file with the contents:

AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/mysite/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
require valid-user

and I uploaded it to the dir I want to protect.  Then I created my password
outside of my web dir with the command: htpasswd -c .htpasswd pam
then followed password prompts, created my password.

So then I go to the site, and am not seeing any password required box,
I can see site without a login.

So then I figured it's not turned on in apache, and went to httpd.conf and changed
AllowOverride None to AllowOverride AuthConfig

When I reload, apache will not reload.

What am I doing wrong?
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008