[CentOS] atrpms nvidia cannot load

Tue Apr 1 12:13:05 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 12:54 -0400, Sam Beam wrote:
> Hi guys - brand new 5.1 install here and quite happy - but...
>
> The nv driver did not work at all for me, fritzy stripes and dots. This is a
> GeForce 7300 LE which was working happily dual-head under FC6 with the livna
> nvidia RPMs
>
> So I looked around and it seemed like the ATRpms repo via yum was the best
> option for CentOS. This is what I installed, it worked great with the
> xorg.conf from the old system.
>
> But then I did a 'yum update' to the system and got a new kernel from
> centosplus (?).
>
> Now the nvidia module won't load. It's not happy with the new kernel. I am at
> a loss as to how to make it happy?
>
> what is the best way to install the closed-source drivers? direct from nvidia?
> recomplile them? Is there some gap between updates kernel and the atrpms
> modules?
>
> and in advance I am SORRY if this has been beat to death. I know ~75% of the
> traffic on the Fedora list was about nvidia woes and flames. Lame, but the
> DRI does work well on these and my daughter likes to play games.
>
> best,
> Sam

Go get the driver for your card from http://nvidia.com . Put it in you
root / and then telinit 3 at the cmd line. Then exec sh
nvidea-driver-.0.0.0. It does work from centOS 4 - 5.1.

"01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
MX/MX 400] (rev b2)"

Mine is older then yours. You should need the newer driver. Exact link
is:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us