[CentOS] backup to disk

Wed Apr 2 04:07:33 UTC 2008
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm looking for common practices for backing up user data to disk.  My user
> data is all in /home.  I'm also interested in what folks are doing for
> things backing up os and configs.
>
>  Any pointers on setting up rsync, cpio, etc would be appreciated.  Pointers
> to good how-to's especially welcome.
>
>  Currently we're using Arkeia Network Backup (commercial product with which
> I am in no way affiliated), and it's great, but with disk space so cheap,
> I'd love to be able to take my current non-raid setup and find a way to get
> up and running quickly in the case of some failures.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>  -Ray

The original guide (that I know of) for doing disk to disk backups
with rsync can be found here:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Then there's "dirvish" which I think it based on that method:
http://www.dirvish.org/

Next there's rdiff-backup, which can be found here:
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

I think there are some other rsync-related backups too.  I hear good
thing about the "backup pc" project.  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/