[CentOS] Create Install DVD with updates

Wed Apr 2 18:21:20 UTC 2008
Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> >We put out a new dvd every 3-6 months ... do you really need one more
>  >often than that?
>
>  Heh, I don't "need" one more often, but it makes bandwidth easier to manage when doing test's and mock installs for example aside from the obvious time needed to run the update's.
>
>  I created a local mirror which at least cuts dl time and bandwidth down!
>
>  Is it possible though?
>
>  jlc

Some people might.  I remember dealing with a client in the middle of
India which had a really slow net connection.  So being able to
download updates and "roll-their-own-dvd-with-updates" could be useful
to some.  Personally, I've setup a local centos mirror which downloads
updates once a day, and I use PXEBoot to image all my servers and have
a bunch of custom kickstart files that do a lot of post installation
configuration.  I do this for convenience because I don't want to go
out to a datacenter to reimage a server, instead I just log into a
kvm.  But it's practical for your local office as well.  So if had a
slow connection this is the way that I'd go.

--
-matt