[CentOS] Icon .png file loading error after graphics driver upgrade

Thu Apr 3 19:22:35 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

Completly remove the driver, run ldconfig restart the machine. Use the
""Provided"' Open Source kernel drives for your video card.  Simple
Solution.

				***OR***

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:58 AM, John J. Lee <jjlee at lbl.gov> wrote:

> The version i installed is
""""""NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.09-pkg2.run""""""""

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_169.12.html

""Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
Version: 169.12
<-------------------------Released in Febuary of 2008
Operating System: Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T)
Release Date: February 26, 2008""

I don't know where you got the driver from but I Highly recomend not
getting any from third party sites; Get them from the Vender Web Sight.
This maybe the brunt of your problems of not have the newest driver. It
may contain the fixes for your problem. Drivers from third party sites
are modified to there liking, so keep that in mind.

Window's WHQL Certified drivers had this problem with the nividia card
and a fix in the latest drivers corrects this issue.

1. Only other idea is if the "LATEST" driver want correct the problem,
then the only choice is to use the open source drivers in the kernel.
IE, remove the driver completly from Nvidia.

2. Next choice is to wrestle with DKMS and install the nvidia dkms
driver from one of the other Repositories.

Anyone on the List know of a good DKMS tutorial besides the one at
linux.dell.com? Relating to drivers? I do not want bits and pieces, I
need reliable facts