[CentOS] yum dependency problem

Sat Apr 5 12:02:51 UTC 2008
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

>  but then Fred's machine shouldn't have tried to update openoffice?

Nope. This is the problem with using 'epoch' values in rpm.

He's installed version 2.whatever via rpm from openoffice.org. CentOS
contains openoffice packages in the base and updates repositories. Now
when he runs 'yum update' it's going to check his entire package list
to see if any of them need updates.

his version (2.4.0) is "older" than what's in centos (1:2.0.4) because
of the use of epoch.

There aren't many packages these days that use epoch values anymore,
but when you stumble across one, it can throw you for a moment.

The exclude line isn't needed for all things, just special cases.